This Years Rules (2018)
November 14, 2017
Dear Custom Call Makers and Call Collector Enthusiasts,
The 2018 NWTF National Convention & Sport Show is less than 4 months away. Each year we receive comments and suggestions from call makers, call judges and others to improve the Grand National Callmaking Competition. At last year’s Convention, we began a process to automate the registration, judging, data entry and checkout/payment process. We are pleased to announce that the entire contest has been redesigned, and offers benefits that you have been asking for.
Listed below are some of the many changes to make the entire contest more transparent and user friendly.
CALL MAKER BENEFITS
Entering a custom call has never been easier! You can now do it online! We have added tons of features and created a way for call makers to get more judging feedback about the calls they enter. We did not build this system to replace the actual people who are working this contest. We built this system to give a little more information to the people who are a part of this contest. This system was put into place for you, the call maker, to have access to more information than ever before. However, with change, we do understand there might be questions or guidance needed. Please feel free to contact Karen Cavender, our Contest Coordinator, at (803)637-7428, she will be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.
JUDGING OF CALLS BENEFITS
This year all our judging and scoring will be done with tablets (no paper scoring sheets). The judges will be able to enter their scores and that information will be uploaded automatically. No more waiting for data entry to complete this time consuming task. Another advantage is no transcription errors.
CALL BUYING BENEFITS
Now buying custom calls is a lot easier. No more waiting in line to register or pay and pick up your calls. Almost everything can be done online now including registering for bid numbers and bid paddles. Payments for custom calls you have won and even a way to watch what a custom call has sold for without ever actually bidding on it.
- One of the challenges of coordinating the competition is trying to make sure all calls bring a sale price that is rewarding for the call makers. The problem is with close to 900 calls offered for sale, some sell for less than market value. ONE WAY call makers MIGHT HELP in this area and HELP THEIR OWN CALLS TO SELL FOR MORE is to promote the calls they are entering with their network of call collectors. This can be done by taking pictures of your calls and sending them to your network of friends and collectors. Encourage them to consider bidding on them OR have you place an Absentee Bid for them of the call(s) they would like to acquire. Absentee bids can be placed online when registering your calls.
- We are working with our publication department to increase coverage in “Turkey Country” magazine.
- Grand National Custom Call Raffle(s). Last year, we asked call makers to help us by donating a call to the elite call raffles. We offered two separate raffles; one for turkey calls and another for duck and goose calls. Call makers who donate a call to either raffle would have their names printed on the tickets and other promotional materials along with some pictures of the calls. The raffle winners will be announced on Saturday Feb. 17 at 3 p.m. All calls will be on display in the call contest area and raffle tickets will be available for purchase at the convention.
- We will need a commitment from call makers who plan to donate a call by December 15 along with a photo of the call if possible. We plan to create two stand-up banners; one for turkey call makers and another for duck and goose call makers. The banners would feature photos of the donated calls and raffle ticket information. If you would like to support us, please contact the following call makers (SEE NAMES AND INFO BELOW). Call makers who donate a call (s) will be given membership credit for the fair market value of the calls. A report will be submitted to the Accounting Department after convention and membership credit awarded to call makers who choose to donate.This will REPLACE the need for an "In-Kind Gift Form". All local and state donations to chapters are submitted through your Regional Director at the time the donation is made. If you would like to help by donating a call, please contact the following call makers who have graciously offered to help coordinate the raffles.
- For the Duck & Goose Call Maker Raffle
Contact: Mark Warmath - email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Cell#: 931-561-1492.
Donated calls can be shipped to NWTF but need to be received NO LATER THAN January 16, 2018. Ship to: NWTF, Duck & Goose Call Raffle, Attn: Karen Cavender, 770 Augusta Road, Edgefield, S.C. 29824 or hand deliver at the NWTF convention on Wednesday, Feb.14, 2018 from 3-7 p.m.
- For the Turkey Call Maker Raffle
Contact: Mike Lapp email: email@example.com or Cell #: 610-914-8590
Donated calls can be shipped to NWTF but need to be received NO LATER THAN January 16, 2018. Ship to: NWTF, Turkey Call Raffle, Att: Karen Cavender, 770 Augusta Road, Edgefield, S.C. 29824 or hand deliver at the NWTF convention on Wednesday, Feb.14, 2018 from 3-7 p.m.
- SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: NWTF will create a banner (24” x 48”) unique to the Grand National Callmaking Competition. The banners will be generated by NWTF graphics department and will be tailored to a specific call maker, call company or business. The banners will list the sponsors name, business name, contact information and or web site info. The cost for the banner will be $150 per banner. Due to limited space, we may need to limit orders to the first 30 call makers who wish to be a sponsor. Banners will be displayed on the railings surrounding the various divisions and categories’ and will be given to the sponsors after the show. Please use the attached form to order your personalized banner. The deadline to order is December 11th.
- All call makers are required to pre-register all entries NO LATER THAN JANUARY 16, 2018. Registration Fees can be paid when registering calls online OR at the convention when you or your representative deliver your call(s).
- Calls may be shipped to the NWTF Headquarters to be received no later than January 16. (NEW: PLEASE SEE SPECIFIC SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS and HOW TO TAG YOUR CALLS THIS YEAR IN THE RULES) OR they can be hand delivered at the convention from 3-7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14.
- We are no longer able to accept hand delivered calls on Thursday. This change is being made so we can begin the judging process at 10 A.M. and accommodate the 50+ judges who volunteer to help, but would like to be able to attend and enjoy the many venues the convention offers.
- Judges will be asked to meet with contestants to answer questions and provide advice from noon-1 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 16.
- Judging will start at 10:00 a.m. for Division I and II; with Division III & IV starting at 1 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 15th.
- When REGISTERING your call(s), please be sure to include a DESCRIPTION OF CALL(S) including types of materials used in the call and any information that enhance the sale should the call be selected for the Grand National Auction.
- Call makers who are UNABLE TO ATTEND the convention OR are concerned that their call(s) may sell for less than market value should place an ABSENTEE BID WHEN REGISTERING. If a call maker places an Absentee Bid, the value of the absentee bid will be the starting value placed on the call. In the event the call does not get a bid higher than the absentee bid, the call maker will purchase the call back at that price.
- Call makers who enter a call(s) in the Grand National Callmaking Competition will be awarded membership credit for the fair market value of their call(s). Therefore, IT IS NECESSARY for the call maker to place a Fair Market Value when registering EACH Call. A report will be submitted to the Accounting Department after convention and membership credit awarded to call makers. This will REPLACE the need for an "In-Kind Gift Form". All local and state donations to chapters are submitted through your Regional Director at the time the donation is made.
Thank you for your support of the NWTF and the Grand National Callmaking Competition. We look forward to seeing you in Nashville at the convention, Feb. 15-18, 2018.
Charley Burke, Custom Callmaking Competition Chairman
Karen Cavender, Custom Callmaking Coordinator
Rules for each division
25th Annual Grand National NWTF Decorative Turkey Call Competition
20th Annual Grand National NWTF Hunting Call Competition
21st Annual Grand National NWTF Decorative Duck & Goose Call Competition
14th Annual Grand National NWTF Hunting Duck & Goose Call Competition